A large number of people use social media for various reasons. Some of the popular ones include Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. It can benefit one in many ways. It can be used as a tool for education, discussion, and to build healthy relationships with professors, students, and colleagues. It is also a good platform to connect and gain more knowledge in a field of your interest. Businesses also use it to advertise their products or services. This is one of the most effective methods of advertising since it will reach the masses very fast.
Some of the reasons why we use it so much include:
- To stay connected with friends and family.
- Keep updated with news and current affairs.
- Network with like-minded people.
- Finding good offers on products & services
Businesses are taking advantage of the fact that browsing social media happens to be the most popular activity online along with email and search. The fact that as of July 2021 there are over 4.48 Billion users is one of the reasons as well. However, social media addiction also has a negative effect on people. It can be the cause of anxiety, fear, and nervousness as well. Some of the marketing campaigns my large firms are also to blame for this. This article explains how these ads are resulting in an addiction.
Why is social media so addictive?
It has several unique features that make it a popular means of communication for many. Almost all businesses use it to post information about their new products and updates about upcoming events. It is not uncommon for users to subscribe to their favorite fashion brands and event management firms to receive regular updates. One of the other features that many people love about it is that it allows one to post information about them. They can post their fancy images, videos and share updates on their activities and achievements. It helps one boost their self-esteem, boosts one ego, and feels more in control of themselves. The use of social media for product trends is also what makes it addictive.
7 ways social media marketers are increasing social media addictiveness
Fear of Missing out
One of the main reasons social media engagement is out of fear of missing out on a new event, notification, new product releases, offers, etc. It is quite common for a digital marketing campaign to actively promote its brand and products to the right demographic of users and send regular updates to keep them interested.
Social media posts of friends
A large number of eCommerce stores provide the option of sharing their products to obtain additional discounts. The main aim of this is to ensure their friends view those posts and generate interest in their products in this manner. This benefits e-commerce store sales.
Generating hype about a new product and frequent updates
Placing ads to create hype on a product is bound to receive a lot of attention. This is likely to be shared by a large number of users who will return for updates. Their curiosity will ensure they view all your updates prior to you revealing information on the product release. eCommerce stores also tend to provide frequent updates about their products to ensure more hits on their website.
Sense of belonging
Some of the common things that it has to offer includes self-actualization, self-esteem, sense of belonging, and safety. Digital marketers take advantage of these factors while advertising to ensure they are successful.
It is basic human nature to have the need to advertise their status on a social network. This might be in the form of their recent travels or a recent purchase. They also tend to keep an eye out for similar posts from their friends and are influenced by their shopping habits.
Offers & discounts
eCommerce stores regularly post information about their offers and discounts on social media sites which users will usually browse social media sites for.
Social media engagement offers users a sense of control since they can view any post they like and follow anyone they wish. They can also opt to subscribe to any website to gain information on that subject like wildlife, space, automobiles, etc. Such social media sites also allow one to subscribe to ads and messages from their favorite stores and brands. Digital marketers take advantage of this to post strategic ads.
Important facts and statistics
- 42% of the people use social media to stay in touch with friends, 39% use it in their spare time, 33% have an account because all their friends do.
- 29% of social media users use it to research product information and buy new products, 32% like to share photos and videos while 34% use it to network with other people.
- 56.8% of the world’s population uses social media.
- The average daily use of social media is 2 hours 24 minutes.
- The annual growth of social media users is 520 Million or 13.1%
- 99% of the users access social media from their smartphones.
- 24% use print media for news while 56% use social media, 82% use online resources and 64% use television.
- 27% use social media to discover new brands or products via ads, 24% to use it to discover via reference.
- 43% use it to research a product online
How does social media advertising benefit companies?
- Improves brand awareness: This is the ideal platform to improve awareness about your brand. With more users aware of your brand and recommending it to their friends and family, you have a better chance of improving your sales.
- High conversion rates: With tons of users worldwide using social media, any advertisement will receive good exposure. It is possible for businesses to target the relevant customer using the advanced tools thus increasing the probability of improving case and higher conversion rates.
- Consumer loyalty: It offers the perfect platform for businesses to send personalized offers and discounts to help improve consumer loyalty.
- Social media trends: Every year new social media trends are released to the market. As soon as TikTok started featuring or letting people create and upload short videos on their platform, many other social media platforms such as reels by Instagram and shorts by YouTube adopted the same features for their users. So that they can gain the popularity that TikTok is having otherwise they may be left behind.
- Effective & affordable marketing: This is one of the most effective methods of marketing products and services since it will reach the masses fast. It is also one of the most affordable ones.
- Good search engine ranking: Businesses with a social media listing are likely to gain a high ranking in the search results of many popular search engines like Google, DuckDuckGo, Bing, etc.
- More relevant website traffic: The strategic ads will send more relevant traffic to your website making it good for business.
Social media addiction of websites like Facebook and Twitter is real and is something digital marketing firms should consider when implementing their strategies. In fact, those with high usage should ideally take steps to cut their usage and gain back control to focus on their work. Marketing firms should advertise smartly and push ads only to the users who are likely to be interested in their products. There are several advanced tools that can be used for this purpose. With the increase in the number of devices offering access to social media websites, there is bound to be more activity on them. However, social media marketers can do their bit by posting ads only to relevant groups of people.
With Crowdfire, you can find curated content, schedule your posts, engage with your audience, deep-dive into analytics and create custom reports. Now introducing Social listening. Try it for free.