Is the TikTok algorithm driving you up the wall?
Do you feel like you’re constantly being left behind?
That it’s getting harder and harder to get views now than before?
That organic reach is dead?
Okay, Okay, let’s take the drama down a notch and focus on solutions instead.
Is it possible to make the TikTok algorithm work for you?
Let’s dissect the 6 things you need to do right to have your TikTok’s growth Tick Upwards.
No. 1: Update Your Posting Time
Is your follower a student?
Is your follower working?
Your content needs to marry into their free time seamlessly.
A time where they would be scrolling through their account, and you can delight them.
TikTok is built around discovery, so looking at when your current followers are active through analytics will help. Still, I advise getting into the psychology of your followers and then picking insights from it.
To make things slightly easier, here are some best times to post for you to try out.
- 10am – 12pm
- 3pm – 5pm
- 7pm – 10pm
Sidenote, be mindful about time zones too.
No. 2: Friends Tab Is Your Friend
When the new “Friends” tab was introduced on TikTok, everyone cried Bloody Murder because it signalled the end of organic reach. But does it?
According to TikTok,
“The Friends Tab is a personalized feed dedicated to your friends’ videos. This feed features content from followers that you follow back and other suggested accounts from the TikTok community.”
It not only shows you videos from your friends (accounts you follow) but also recommends videos from accounts you may have never come across.
Here’s where having a strong niche comes into play.
If TikTok can segment your videos based on a clear niche, it will show your content to interested people, and the algorithm will love you back.
It’s not a myth.
No. 3: Use Trending Sounds
Lately, there has been some debate over the use of trending sounds.
According to Influencer Marketing Hub
- Nearly 90% of TikTok users shared that sound is key to the TikTok experience.
- More than 70% of TikTok users who participated in the research shared that they would watch ads on TikTok with audio.
- TikTok users describe the sound on TikTok as almost double the fun compared to other social media platforms.
Check the ‘For You’ page for repetitive patterns to know the right sounds to use.
Also, don’t forget to examine the sounds that big creator accounts are using.
No. 4: Keywords Are Key
Keywords are the holy grail of content creation on any social media platform.
It’s the signal, the green light at the end of the daisy’s dock calling the algorithm’s attention. You can use keywords in three different ways:
- The caption: You get 150 characters on TikTok, including your hashtag. So make sure to use clear and concise copy.
- Hashtags: Their sole purpose is discovery, so make sure to use hashtags that are relevant to your niche.
- Video script: TikTok transcribes the audio in your video to look for relevant keywords and index your video accordingly. So if your message is clear and you can encapsulate what your video is about, it will make a huge difference to the discoverability of your video.
No. 5: Hashtags
They need a section of their own because they continue to contribute greatly to show the TikTok algorithm that you mean business.
Here’s how you can make use of it the right way.
- Niche specific: Specifically target your audience by using niche specific hashtags.
For e.g. if you’re a Calisthenics trainer, your niche hashtags will be related to this domain, like #calisthenics
- Broad: Sprinkle in some broad hashtags too to reach a larger audience base.
For e.g. If you’re a Calisthenics trainer, you could also use hashtags with bigger reach like #fitness #health
TikTok growth coach Robert Benjamin outlines 4 hashtag strategies that you can use for each post. Try these variations and select the one that works best for you.
- 4 niche specific hashtags
- 4 broad hashtags
- 3 niche specific hashtags and 1 broad hashtag
- 2 broad hashtags and 1 niche specific hashtag
You can learn more about it in this video.
No. 6 Every Post Is An Opportunity
This is one platform where every piece of content you create, if done well, can result in virality.
Your old content doesn’t matter. Your follower count doesn’t matter.
Grab this opportunity to create and have fun with the process. Use TikTok’s crazy-specific algorithm to your advantage.
If you are enjoying what you do, your audience will too!
Video is a medium where your presence and personality determines your views.
When you thrive on creating this form of content, your tribe will be attracted to you.
There you go!
These are the 6 things you need to focus on to help you hack TikTok’s algorithm!
Try it out and let me know how it works for you.